This 3-day course will enables individuals to teach the Ofqual and SQA regulated national qualifications in First Aid for Mental Health.
This course is awarded by First Aid Awards Limited.
The First Aid for Mental Health Instructor course is suitable for:
- Anyone with an interest in delivering the Half-day level 1/4, 1-day level 2/5, and/or 2-day level 3/6 qualifications;
- Those who have an existing recognised teaching qualification; and
- Individual age 18 or over.
There are a maximum of 12 per course.
Course Format and Content
- Micro-teaching Session:
- During the course, individuals will be asked to deliver a micro-teaching session on First Aid for Mental Health to their peers on the course.
- The topic and copy of the First Aid for Mental Health book is be sent to the individual as part of their joining instructions, so that they can prepare their session prior to attending the course.
- Syllabus include:
- What is First Aid for Mental Health?
- Identifying mental health conditions.
- Providing advice and starting a conversation.
- Mental health conditions.
- Drugs and alcohol.
- First Aid for Mental Health action plan.
- First Aid for Mental Health in the workplace.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Eating disorders.
- Personality disorders.
- Bipolar disorder.
- Course Materials:
- Tutor Packs with PowerPoint and training notes for individuals to deliver regulated First Aid for Mental Health qualifications.
A range of methods are used, including:
- Practical (e.g. micro-teaching session); and
- Questioning (e.g. open and multiple-choice).
- Instructor Certificate in First Aid for Mental Health.
- FAA Level 3 Award in Supervising First Aid for Mental Health.
- SCQF Level 6 Award in Leading First Aid for Mental Health.
Qualifications the Individual Can Teach
- FAA Level 1 Award in Awareness of First Aid for Mental Health/SCQF Level 3 Award in Awareness of First Aid for Mental Health.
- FAA Level 2 Award in First Aid for Mental Health/SCQF Level 5 Award in First Aid for Mental Health.
- FAA Level 3 Award in Supervising First Aid for Mental Health/SCQF Level 6 Award in Leading First Aid for Mental Health.
Until the end of 2019, there was no expiry date for this qualification; although it was highly recommended that individuals attended CPD training as often as possible.
As of 2020 this instructor qualification is valid for 3 years from the date of achievement. Instructors will need to complete the full course again to re-qualify for a further 3 years. Once again, it is strongly recommended that individuals attend annual refresher training.