This course helps the individual gain the confidence to be able to support people experiencing mental health problems, and help them to thrive inside and outside of sport/physical activity sessions.
This course is offered by UK Coaching.
What is the Purpose of the Course?
Increase an individuals knowledge and understanding of mental health, and provide them with the practical skills and strategies to be able to facilitate this.
Who Can Attend the Course?
Everyone who delivers coaching in clubs, community sport and physical activity – such as coaches, activators, sports administrators, front of house staff or volunteers – will benefit.
Aims of the Course
The aims of the course are:
- Build people’s resilience, self-esteem and confidence;
- Adapt sessions to make them more inclusive;
- Enable and support mental health recovery; and
- Tackle stigma and discrimination.
This is an online course that takes approximately 2-3 hours to complete.
Learning is through a variety of learning activities, quizzes, case studies and videos that will help the individual:
- Better understand mental health, the misconceptions and how to recognise the red flags.
- Appreciate the impact and importance of sport and physical activity on mental health.
- Recognise the barriers to participating in physical activity, and put in place practical ways you can adapt your sessions to overcome them.
- Understand and connect with people helping to provide an inclusive, person-centred experience.
- Communicate effectively and offer appropriate guidance.
- Be confident about opening and holding a conversation about mental health with someone they coach.
- Make the club or organisation more inclusive, and better prepared to be able to support people experiencing mental health problems.
There is a short exam at the end.
After completing the course individuals will be able to download their certificate of completion.
The course has been awarded 3 Developmental CPD points by the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA).