safeTALK Training for Trainers (T4T) prepares candidates to deliver the half-day Suicide Alertness for Everyone (safeTALK).
The focus is on positive learning, encouragement of open and honest talk, respect for differences, mutual support and active participation.
Entry Requirements/Selection Criteria
The T4T course is suitable for:
- Those who have experience of supporting people at risk of suicide.
- Those who have registered their interest with the local Choose Life Coordinator.
- Sponsored by the local Choose Life Coordinator or their line manager (The application and sponsor form is approved by the Choose Life Coordinator).
- Completed the ASIST course.
- Familiar with Choose Life and local Choose Life activities.
- Those who have the following combination of skills and characteristics:
- Available with dedicated time to deliver training.
- Flexible attitude about suicide.
- Good interpersonal communication and helping skills.
- Suicide intervention skills.
- Knowledge about suicide.
- Established or experience of teaching and group leadership skills.
Place are prioritised for the following:
- Choose Life Coordinators and local mental health and wellbeing leads who demonstrated clearly that they have responsibility for mental health training.
- NHS Health Scotland’s strategic partners for mental health with whom they are collaborating on key work priorities.
- Other applicants with a mental health training remit within health and social care particularly in areas where there is significantly low Instructor capacity.
- Where possible, organisations which already have safeTALK embedded in their training plans and where there is significantly low trainer capacity.
Having successfully completed T4T, the individual will become a Provisional safeTALK Trainer.
Once the individual has delivered three workshops within the first year they will become fully registered.
In Scotland, trainers are expected to deliver three workshops per year on an ongoing basis to keep their skills up-to-date.
After the safeTALK T4T, support is provided by the mentors and the Choose Life national training support team, individuals will also receive feedback from the safeTALK Reader for their first three course, for their ongoing development.