A husband is suffering from melancholia, and he wants to commit suicide. His wife, who is a cartoonist, forces him to quit his job for the therapy. The wife’s optimism influence the husband, and they live happily ever after.
Also known as Tsure ga utsu ni narimashite (original title), 丈夫得了抑郁症 (China, Mandarin, festival title), and ツレがうつになりまして。(Japanese).
Mikio (Masato Sakai) is a married man and works hard for the company where he is employed. Then one day Mikio is diagnosed with depression. Mikio’s wife is Haruko (Aoi Miyazaki). They have been married for 5 years. Haruko draws comics for work, but they do not sell well. She mainly relied on Mikio for support. Meanwhile, Haruko did not notice any changes in her husband. She begins to blame herself for not noticing any signs. Mikio’s depression derived from his work. His company has been pressing him to quit the company. After Mikio quits his job his condition improves, but the dynamics of their relationship changes.
- Mitsuru Fukikoshi – Sugiura.
- Kanji Tsuda – Kazuo Takazaki.
- Hiroshi Inuzuka – Kawaji.
- Tomio Umezawa – Takashi Mikami.
- Ryosei Tayama – Kamo.
- Ren Osugi – Yasuo Kurita (Haruko’s dad).
- Kimiko Yo – Satoko Kurita (Haruko’s mom).
- Hiroshi Yamamoto – Kimizuka.
- Saburo Tamura – Tsuda.
- Yuta Nakano – Obata.
- Atsushi Mizutani.
2011 (36th) Hochi Film Awards – 29 November 2011 – Best Actor (Masato Sakai).
- Based on the manga “Tsure ga Utsu ni Narimashite” by female manga artist Tenten Hosokawa.
- The manga also inspired the NHK 2009 drama “How Do I Cope with My Husband’s Depression?” (Tsure ga utsu ni narimashite, NHK, 2009).
- Movie director Kiyoshi Sasabe planned directing the film for 4 years.
- Filming began January 9th and is expected to finish early February.
- Aoi Miyazaki & Masato Sakai previously worked together in the 2008 taiga drama “Atsuhime”.
Production & Filming Details
- Director(s): Kiyoshi Sasabe.
- Producer(s): Mitsuru Kurosawa, Naoya Kinoshita, Hirohumi Shigemura, Takashi Hirajo, Hideyuki Hukuhara, Tadayoshi Kubota, Tatsuya Kunimatsu, and Masaaki Usui.
- Writer(s): Tenten Hosokawa (manga) and Takeshi Aoshima (screenplay).
- Music: Mino Kabasawa.
- Cinematography: Takeshi Hamada.
- Editor(s): Eisuke Oohata.
- Central Arts.
- IVS Television.
- King Records.
- Kinoshita Komuten.
- TV Asahi.
- The Yomiuri Shimbun.
- Toei Video Company.
- Distributor(s): Toei Company (Japan).
- Release Date: 08 October 2011 (Kawasaki Shinyuri Film Festival).
- Running Time: 121 minutes.
- Rating: Unknown.
- Country: Japan.
- Language: English (subtitles) and Japanese.