Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A Practitioner Workbook.
Author(s): David B. Rosengren.
Edition: Second (2nd).
Publisher: The Guildford Press.
Type(s): Paperback and Kindle.
Many tens of thousands of mental health and health care professionals have used this essential book – now significantly revised with 70% new content reflecting important advances in the field – to develop and sharpen their skills in motivational interviewing (MI).
Clear explanations of core MI concepts are accompanied by carefully crafted sample dialogues, exercises, and practice opportunities. Readers build proficiency for moving through the four processes of MI – engaging, focusing, evoking, and planning – using open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening, and summaries (OARS), plus information exchange.
In a large-size format with lay-flat binding for easy photocopying, the volume includes more than 80 reproducible worksheets. Purchasers get access to a companion website where they can download and print the reproducible materials.
New to This Edition
- Fully revised and restructured around the new four-process model of MI.
- Chapters on exploring values and goals and “finding the horizon.”
- Additional exercises, now with downloadable worksheets.
- Teaches how to tailor OARS skills for each MI process.
- Integrates key ideas from positive psychology.