She’s beautiful, artistic, loved and can’t stand to be alive. 32 PILLS traces the fascinating life and mental illness of my sister, New York artist and photographer Ruth Litoff, and my struggle to come to terms with her tragic suicide.
After struggling with mental illness for most of her life, New York artist Ruth Litoff committed suicide at age 42 in 2008 by overdosing on prescription pills. Six years later, her younger sister, Hope Litoff, decides to film herself while she empties a packed-to-the-brim storage unit filled with Ruth’s belongings, driven by the need to understand Ruth’s illness and desire to end her life – but as she pores through the items her sister left behind, she must exorcise the demons that threaten her sobriety.
Read the rest of the HBO synopsis here.
- Ruth Litoff as self.
- Hope Litoff as Self.
Production & Filming Details
- Hope Litoff.
- Dan Cogan … executive producer.
- Steven H. Cohen … co-executive producer.
- Paula M. Froehle … co-executive producer.
- Lise King … social impact producer.
- Beth Levison … producer.
- Sheila Nevins … executive producer.
- Regina K. Scully … executive producer (as Regina Kulik Scully).
- Todd Griffin.
- Daniel B. Gold.
- Toby Shimin.
- HBO Documentary Films.
- Home Box Office (HBO) (2016) (USA) (TV).
- Release Date: 01 May 2017 (Canada, Hot Docs International Documentary Festival).
- Running Time: 89 minutes.
- Rating: TV-MA.
- Country: US.
- Language: English.