For those already struggling with their New Year eating resolutions, they may be happy to hear that it can take under a month to see improvements in how they feel after adopting a healthy diet.
A randomised control study, conducted by researchers at Macquarie University in Australia, found that when depressed university students, aged between 17 and 35, switched from a processed diet to a whole foods diet anxiety, depression, and stress levels were slashed.
The whole foods diet included (per day):
- Two or three servings of fruit.
- Five portions of vegetables.
- Three servings each of wholegrains and lean protein.
- Two tablespoons of olive oil.
- One teaspoon of turmeric or cinnamon.